Sunday, August 14, 2011

Sunday's Cellar Selection

Located on the east side of Keuka Lake, Ravines' tasting room sits up on the hill with stunning lake views and I'm sorry to say that we didn't do a tasting there on our last trip to the Finger Lakes.  It wasn't because we don't enjoy their wines, it was more because we have over two cases of Ravines' wines in the cellar! 

A rainy day and a bountiful harvest of peppers inspired me to make a pot of sausage and peppers and my PIC's job was to find an appropriate wine.  Tonight's cellar selection.....Ravines 2007 Merlot Glen Eldridge Vineyard - and he picked a winner!

The nose is black pepper and raspberry with maybe a touch of strawberry.  I only detected a hint of the minerality on the nose that I had in my tasting notes from March of this year.  Medium bodied, it's soft and round, with plum and black cherry.  It finishes with black cherry and underlying smoke.  

Unfortunately, it was gone before the sausage and peppers ever made it to the table so it's on to cheap Chianti.  That is just so wrong....

No comments:

Post a Comment