Saturday, September 3, 2011

Uh-Oh...I'm in love......again

Have I mentioned how much I've come to love Riesling?  And have I mentioned just how fickle I can be? 

Just in case you missed it, I have become a huge believer in Riesling.  It's incredibly food friendly, or so we hear, but let's be honest; the bottle rarely lasts long enough for me to get dinner on the table.  But I don't love every Riesling; I love them dry, with minerality and acidity.  I love the lime and even a hint of petrol.  People talk of terrior all the time, but if there's any wine in which it is so obvious to me, it's in Riesling.  On a really good day, I can tell you on which side of the lake the grapes were grown.  On others.....well, we won't go there.  But...as with everything in life, there needs to be balance to make it all work.

We love Shaw's reds but what about this?  Let me tell you; everything I could ever ask for just came out of this bottle - the Shaw 2007 Dry Riesling.  It has a lovely minerally nose with fresh lemon and peach, followed by honey and peach on the palate and shows mineral and slate on the lingering finish.  It has bright acidity that is beautifully balanced with just a hint of RS.  Even PIC is on board on this one!

I'm sorry previous Riesling love; I'm breaking up with you.

1 comment:

  1. I've never been much of a riesling fan but this was awfully enjoyable. I might become a convert!

    ReplyDelete